As part of our compensation services, we assist clients in the assessment, design, and implementation of compensation programs for professionals and Board members in the real estate, financial services, and related industries. We specialize in crafting performance management and reward systems that align management interests with the achievement of strategic business objectives.
Critical to the success of every project we undertake is obtaining a thorough understanding of the client’s goals and operational structure. After a comprehensive review of the historical pay philosophy, compensation practices are benchmarked against peer group companies and across the broader real estate industry. We then generate a report of findings summarizing all competitive benchmarking data. From here, we work with the client to recommend adjustments to compensation programs that support their compensation philosophy.
Real estate industry knowledge. Our concentration within the real estate, financial services, and related industries has allowed us to develop a unique understanding of the financial, operational, and broad economic dynamics impacting the industry. Our extensive industry relationships and ability to gather relevant information on professional and Board positions enable us to understand trends in compensation and their implications for our clients that cross over industry boundaries.
Compensation program design expertise. We recognize that compensation programs profoundly impact organizational success and that performance is greatly shaped by how total reward systems are designed, communicated, and managed. Through our compensation services, we develop effective reward programs that align business strategies, financial resources, stakeholder interests, and compensation philosophies to help clients attract, motivate, and retain top talent.
Thoughtful, reflective advice. Our genuine concern for the long term success of every client has earned us the role of trusted advisor to many of the world’s leading real estate and financial services companies. Our advice is based on a wealth of market data, deep experience, a clear understanding of business strategy, and a thorough knowledge of industry dynamics.
Relevant industry-leading data resources. Our extensive relationships and significant experience give us a distinct competitive advantage in accessing non-public data and understanding the business fundamentals that drive real estate and corporate value. Through industry-sponsored and independent proprietary surveys, we have unparalleled access to relevant industry-competitive compensation and program design information. The result is one of the most comprehensive databases of its kind in the industry, covering over 500,000 individual data points with information on over 650 positions and 2,000 companies worldwide.
Compensation and Performance Benchmarking
- Provide baseline competitive market data on the compensation practices of customized peer groups
- Evaluate all components of compensation for executive, senior, and mid-level professionals and Board positions
Comprehensive Compensation Program Design
- Build consensus on an appropriate philosophy and strategy
- Establish base salary structure and administration guidelines
- Develop annual and long-term incentive plans, including award opportunities and related performance measurement criteria
Board of Directors Compensation Program Design
- Design Board and committee retainer arrangements, meeting fees, and equity-based compensation utilizing baseline competitive market data
- Develop Board compensation programs including cash and equity mix and share ownership guidelines
- Develop tailored surveys targeting specific market data within a confined market segment
Customized Market Assessments
- Provide market competitive research in areas such as long-term incentive vehicle utilization, share authorization and overhang issues, management ownership levels, and non-traditional or "synthetic" long-term incentive vehicles
- Develop an itemized breakdown of total compensation packages including salary, bonus, equity compensation, retirement benefits, perquisites, equity holdings, and contractual obligations
Termination Scenario Analysis
- Project the potential financial impact of executive departures which occur as a result of retirement, voluntary and involuntary termination, change-of-control, or other circumstances
Severance and Change in Control Arrangements
- Define competitive market approaches to severance, employment, and change in control agreements
- Benchmark terms and conditions of management employment agreements